The answers you need

Frequently Asked Questions

You may have different questions, depending on your membership within the Fund. We have grouped relevant topics for your status as per below.


If you are unsure as to whether your pension is in the DB or the DC section of the Fund, please refer to our page Am I a DB or a DC member?

General FAQs
How should I notify the Pension Fund Office of a change to my personal details?

We must receive changes to your personal details in writing by email or post. The correspondence should be signed by you.

You should write to us if:

You change your name (by marriage, divorce or Deed Poll)

You change your address

You change your email address and/or telephone details

Your bank account details change (only applicable if your pension is in payment)

You get divorced

DC members should inform Aegon of changes to their personal details

How can I notify you of the death of a member?

If a member of the Fund dies please fill in and send a death notification form via email or post. 

How do I nominate beneficiaries?

If you are a member of the DB section and you are not married you can nominate your partner or a financial dependant to receive any spouse's pension payable in the event of your death. You can do this by completing a “Nominated Dependants Application Form” and sending it to the Pension Fund Office via post or email.  If there is a spouse's pension payable on your death it will be shown on your pension increase letter (deferred and pensioner members). 

Employee members of the Fund can complete an Expression of Wish form to nominate beneficiaries for the lump sum benefit payable in the event of their death in service. Pensioners and deferred members should not complete this form.

I am getting divorced, how will this affect my pension?

If a pension sharing order is made through the Court as part of your divorce settlement then this will specify a percentage of the value of your pension benefits to be paid to your ex-spouse. Your ex-spouse must transfer their share (known as the pension credit) out of the Fund to an external pension arrangement of their choosing. The receiving scheme must be a HMRC tax registered pension scheme. Please see the relevant page under your member status within the Fund for more in depth information.

What is the Annual Allowance?

The amount of tax-free pension savings you can build up over a tax year is restricted by the Annual Allowance. The Annual Allowance is set by the government and for the tax year 2023/24 the standard Allowance is £60,000 but it reduces for individuals with taxable income and annual pension savings greater than £260,000. Pension savings in excess of the Annual Allowance are subject to the Annual Allowance charge (income tax at your highest rate) and this charge must be declared on your annual self-assessment tax return. The Annual Allowance regulations allow you to carry forward any unused Allowance from the previous three tax years into the current tax year to help offset any charge or boost your scope to make pension savings in the current year. Please see your Fund membership page for more information.

What is the Lifetime Allowance?

This was the total limit on the pension savings which qualified for tax relief and applied to all of the pension benefits you built up over your working life. For the 2022/23 tax year the LTA was £1,073,100. Pension benefits in excess of the Lifetime Allowance (LTA) were subject to a tax charge known as the LTA charge. However, the LTA will be abolished in a future finance bill expected to be effective from April 2024. The LTA charge was abolished with effect from 6 April 2023.  

I think I may have a pension with Imperial, how can I find out?

If you think you have a pension with Imperial please get in contact with the Pension Fund Office and provide details of your employment (name of employer and employment dates), your full name (including maiden name if you were not married when you worked for Imperial), date of birth and National Insurance number.  We will then check the Fund's records to see if you hold any pension entitlement within the Fund and let you know.